Saturday, March 28, 2009

We´re Official!

It´s hard to believe that training is over. I feel like the time has flown by since I was eating Imo's and mashed potato pizza for the last time and being scared to death about just getting to Guatemala. Now, I'm sitting here at the hostel in Antigua having the same sort of nerves all over again about getting settled in at Cantel.

Yesterday we swore in as official Peace Corps volunteers. There was a ceremony at the US ambassador's house that all of our host families came to. We took the same oath that Joe Biden took at the inauguration, except that we pledged to serve as Peace Corps volunteers instead of VP. Then we listened to some speeches, and ate some tasty snacks, and took a whole lot of pictures.

Then it was back to Magdalena to say goodbye. I'm really going to miss eating chocobananos (frozen bananas covered in chocolate and peanuts) at my favorite ice cream/ chicken store, the views from the park we were working at, Spanish classes with my Magda crew, and of course my host family. My host family says they'll come visit me, though, and I'm sure I'll be back to go the PC training center soon enough.

After a quick stop at the center, I headed to Antigua for the weekend with just about everyone from our training group. So far, it's been a really fun weekend while we try not to think about goodbyes or how we have to make it on our own starting tomorrow. Last night, I went out for Indian food and then dancing with a big group. This afternoon we went on a tour of a Jade factory and took advantage of free internet and tv at our hostel. I even got to watch the Mizzou/UConn basketball game with a friend who went to UConn. We came so close! Tonight we're thinking about sushi, and then tomorrow morning I leave for Cantel.

Hope everyone had a good spring break last week and has a very happy Easter. Dye some eggs for me and eat lots of ham, potato salad, baked beans, and chocolate-- if that's what you do on Easter like my family does.

Wish me luck as I set out on two years of service as a Peace Corps volunteer!

No comments:

Post a Comment