Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Site

So today was the day we found out our sites. They made us wait all morning and finally at 2 o'clock they lead us all outside to a giant map they had made of Guatemala. Then we were all blindfolded and lead individually to our sites. When everyone was there, we were allowed to open our eyes and see where we were. And my site is............

Cantel, Quetzaltenango!

It's a 90% Quiche Mayan town very close to the city of Quetzaltenango (Xela for short). I'll be working with the Municipal park in the office of Protected Areas and the Environment. I have an entire packet to read so I'll post more information once I've read that, but for now, if you google "Cantel Quetzaltenango Guatemala" you'll find the town's website and some pictures that make it look really pretty. I'm pretty excited about it all, except for the fact that its climate is just described as "cold". I think I will be investing in some warm clothes very soon.

1 comment:

  1. AAHHHHH!!! That's where I was when I spent spring break in Guatemala two year ago. We spent two days in Xela and the rest of the week just outside of Xela in two different Mayan villages. If you get a chance, go to a Xela soccer game. It was even crazier then when I saw playoffs for the Africa Cup in Senegal.

    -Sarah S.

    ReplyDelete