Monday, February 1, 2010

Back to School

Classes just started here in Guatemala on Friday, with inauguration ceremonies at all elementary and middle schools. I went to the middle school where we're building the recycled wall to hear a singing of the loooooong Guatemalan national anthem, introductions of the teachers and staff, and general first-day-of-school excitement.

This year, the president of Guatemala made all public schools free. So, instead of charging a fee to enroll, the principle made it a policy that kids would have to turn in 5 filled bottles for our wall. Of course, not all parents were thrilled about this and some said they'd rather just pay. I think it was my favorite part of the day on Friday when the principal told me that some very enterprising kids had thus set up their business outside of the school, selling filled bottles for 2.50Q each (about 30 cents).

I've been a little bit sick lately, but have also had some good times teaching my friend the librarian at Cantel's public library to swim, having Peace Corps friends and a friend from the states come visit Cantel, and climbing Volcan Tacana-- Central America's second highest peak. This weekend, I'm excited about celebrating my birthday with my host family and sitemates on Saturday and then watching the Super Bowl with an American family who lives in one of our rural communities on Sunday. I'm not sure who I'm cheering for, but there will be American-style food, so it's bound to be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment