Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back in Guatemala

I just got back from a fantastic two weeks in St. Louis on Monday and am slowly readjusting to life back here in Cantel. December was a crazy month, with a good friend's wedding, building a recycled plastic bottle Christmas tree, hosting a World AIDS Day table in our plaza, and of course theater camp. (Check out Kate's blog www.katalinachronicles.blogspot.com for lots of great pictures and recaps of our final practices and performance!) Then, I was home for a whirlwind 11 days filled with seeing friends and family. Now that I'm back and life has slowed down from my busy December, it's a bit of a challenge readjusting to the slower pace of life here in Guatemala.

My host family gave me a wonderful welcome back dinner, I've had a great time sharing peanut butter M & Ms and telling people about Christmas and New Years in the States, and the weather is a welcome change from freezing St. Louis.... but still, getting started again is always difficult. Today I have a meeting with a group who does recycling workshops and helps set up recycling programs in towns near Xela, so hopefully something will come of that, and tomorrow I'm going with the market coordinator to find a market space to use for teaching two English classes. I'm also looking forward to school starting again in February and getting involved with putting our environmental eduaction plan into practice.

Today is also my one-year-in-Guatemala mark. It's hard to believe that a year has already passed. I've had some incredible experiences in this interesting and beautiful country, and can only hope that the next 15 months go as well!

1 comment:

  1. YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME PERSON AGAIN, YOU CAN SEE THINGS IN LIFE DIFFERENT AND APPRECIATE MANY OTHERS. GUATEMALA IS A BEAUTIFUL AND ENCHANTED COUNTRY WITH ALL KIND OF PEOPLE YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE NATIVE GUATEMALANS AND THE MESTIZOS. HOPE ONE DAY WE ALL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE EDUCATED AND HAVE THE BLESSING OF TRAVELING AND HELP OTHERS LIKE YOU DOING IT NOW.

    ReplyDelete