Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pros and Cons to life in Guate


I've been in Cantel for about a month and a half now and little by little, I´m discovering the things that I like and don't like about life in Guatemala. Here are some of my favorite and least favorite things


Things I like:


-Market Day on Sundays. It's crazy, with all sorts of tomatoes, bananas, chickens, broccoli, etc. I feel like I'm finally getting bargaining down and I like the organized chaos of it all.


-Learning to cook, like Peace Corps volunteers around the world. Last night I made pita bread which turned out really well. If anyone has any ideas for stovetop recipes that use simple ingredients I would be very greatful.


- Giving random presentations to people in the waiting room at our town health center. In the States, I was never a huge fan of public speaking, but here I'm learning to just go with it. People don't have anything better to do than listen anyway.


-Learning to decorate cakes and practicing English with my friend at my favorite bakery. I'm working on icing roses right now.



Things I like less:


-Missing out on life in the States. I wish I could be there to watch everyone graduate this week. Congrats to you all!!


- Still trying to figure out exactly how this tourism project could go and what I should be doing to help it along.


- THE RAIN. The rainy season here lasts from now until November and it pours just about every afternoon.


Since it's Tuesday, here is a Guatemala Trivia Tuesday question for you. What two condiments are the favorites of all Guatemalans? Let me know what you think and I'll post the answers soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment