Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Life Lately

After getting some angry phone calls and emails about my lack of posts lately, I thought it was probably time to update my blog. Tim told me to do a Guatemala ¨Trivia Tuesday¨, but seeing as it's Wednesday and I can't think of any particularly interesting bits of trivia, I think that will have to wait until next week. Here are some of the things I have been up to since Semana Santa:

-Going to a two-day trail making workshop at a nearby municipality. The goal for our communal forest is to make an interpretive trail so Orlando and I went to learn all about the specifics of trail-building. We're going back for another three days next week.

-Making three cakes with my host family on May 1, Guatemalan Labor Day. At first, we tried to follow the recipe in "QuƩ Rico", the Guatemalan Peace Corps cookbook, but it was a bit difficult without any measuring cups or spoons so we just guessed and used different amounts in each cake. We don't have a working oven, so we took all three to a nearby bakery and asked if they would please bake them for us. I was pretty nervous that they weren't going to turn out and my family was going to be very disappointed with me. Luckily, though, every single one came out delicious, proving that you can't go wrong with butter, sugar, eggs, and flour.

- Starting English classes on Saturdays with a group of about 8 kids. So far, we've worked on the alphabet, greetings, my name is, and "I like____".

-Going to a music festival in Xela with a huge group of people from my training class.

-Attending an AIDS workshop that the other Peace Corps volunteer in my town put on for school directors and teachers to learn how to lead one myself.

-Starting environmental ed. at a middle school with presentations on inorganic/organic trash and how to reduce our trash output. I'm really excited about this and am actually going to another school this afternoon.

- Preparing a presentation on domestic violence for a parent meeting, only to go and have the meeting be cancelled because it was a teacher's birthday. Oh, Guatemala.....

No comments:

Post a Comment