Thursday, October 1, 2009

Environmental Education Workshops

Last week, our office sponsored workshops on environmental eduacation with Cantel's elementary schools. We had about an 80% participation rate from schools, with 120 teachers representing 18 primary schools. Each day was a little different-- some days were a bit stressful with 40 teachers, some days were small with only 8 or 12, and on the last day a preschool gymnastics competition was going on right next door making it difficult to even think. Overall, though, they were very well-received by the teachers. We had a good time and I think it's a good start. Unfortunately the school year here ends in about two weeks, but when classes begin again in January I'm hoping to get more involved with the elementary schools and do follow-up activities on what we talked about in the workshops.

I've been attacked by people more than a few times who ask me what I'm doing here teaching about the environment in Guatemala when it's really developed countries, and the US in particular, doing the most damage. It's sort of difficult to explain, and in some ways its a fair point, so I was grateful when a teacher asked me instead what differences I saw between the environmental situation in the US and Guatemala. I thought that was an interesting question and made me think about it myself as well.

The way I see it, it's true that the states are doing more damage, and what is needed there are huge advances on how to reduce and recycle trash, cut down on car-usage, etc. However, because waste management doesn't exist in Cantel or in most parts of Guatemala, and because of deforestation of the nearby mountains for firewood and more space for agriculture, you can see the environmental problems more strongly here-- and right now, if we don't teach kids about how to manage their own trash by at-home recycling, compost, etc. and the importance of protecting the trees, rivers, etc., it's only going to get worse here.

I also joined a basketball team last week, but our first game was cancelled because the other team didn't come. Hopefully this week, we'll get to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment