Monday, February 2, 2009

Fruit and coffee in Guatemala

Just a quick observation that it is very difficult to try and remember all of the names of fruits and vegetables in Spanish when you are also being introduced to about 30 new varieties of squash and tropical fruits that you never even knew existed.

In regards to coffee, Guatemala is very interesting in that it is one of the biggest exporters of coffee but that almost everyone drinks instant. Then they add a LOT of sugar-- and on more than one occasion have told me they thought I was crazy for preferring it black. My host brother looked at me in awe and asked me where I learned to drink it like that. When I told him from my mom, he just shook his head. Coffee is also served almost every night at dinner, around 7:30. I think this is very interesting that it is considered more of a nightime drink than a morning pick-me-up.

Other than that, I learned yesterday that duck, duck, goose also exists here (pato, pato, ganso) and played with some of the kids on my street. We also played some hand clap games, soccer, and what I thought to be a more complicated version of dodgeball. I´m pretty excited to be making Guatemalan friends, even if they are only nine years old. :)

1 comment:

  1. HI BECCA, I'M SO GLAD THAT YOU ARE MAKING GUATEMALANS FRIENDS, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY HAS A LOT OF HISTORY TO SHARE. IT MUST BE WONDERFUL TO BE ABLE TO LEARN AND DISCOVER
    HOW MUCH OUR WORLD HAVE TO OFFER.

    ReplyDelete