Monday, January 19, 2009

Corazon de Agua

On Friday, my group finally got to see Corazon de Agua, the park that we´re working with during training. Basically it is at the top of a mountain and although getting there is difficult, the views from the top are some of the most incredible I have ever seen. From the park´s five ¨miradors¨ or lookouts, you can see Guatemala City, Antigua, five volcanoes, Lake Matitlan, and you can even sort of make out the coast. On Sunday, we went back to the park to try and do a sort of survey with tourists there and also just to take pictures. I promise to post some soon, it´s just a bit difficult with the slow internet connections here.

Today we went to Guatemala City because of it being MLK day and thus a Peace Corps Training Center holiday. We saw the embassy and the hospital we use if we ever have an emergency, but the most exciting part was probably getting to eat lunch out at any number of American chain restaurants. I chose Subway and it was delicious. Guatemala City reminded me a lot of Mexico City. Basically large and sprawling with CRAZY traffic.

On Friday morning, my group also took a quick trip to Antigua which is only about 30 minutes from our town. It´s very true what they say, the number of tourists there is pretty incredible. It´s really pretty though, and I´m excited to go back and actually spend some time there.

Tomorrow we go to the training center and are going to get to watch Obama´s inauguration address. I´m very excited and glad that it works out on a day we can see it.

Alright, I have to go meet my group to work on our project a bit more because we are presenting tomorrow. Hope things go well for everyone starting classes tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment